Reader's Favorite

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Plain Peace by: Beth Wiseman BOOK REVIEW

Plain Peace (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)Plain Peace 
by Beth Wiseman


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Plain Peace is the latest novel in the Daughters of the Promise series by Beth Wiseman. I have to admit that this is the first of this series that I have read, and normally I hate to do that but at the time I picked this book I wasn't aware of the series. That being said, if you haven't read the series, you can still pick up this book and the story makes sense all on it's own, you don't have to have read the previous books. Although if you are like me, now having read this one, it makes me want to go back and read the others.

Anna is the bishop's granddaughter, and although she is growing her grandfather may be a little blind to that, along with a number of other things. Bishop Byler is old-fashioned and strict, some think too strict, but his strictness has a reason and it has purpose for him. Anna's parents died when she was young, in an auto accident as they were being driven by and Englisch. Anna has never minded his strictness, she has always felt loved, until now when it starts to effect her future and courting.

Jacob and his family are new to Paradise. The move was to be a fresh start for the family, yet it seems that they have brought all the brokenness with them. Jacob doesn't know the Bishop and so he tries to court Anna, the only person in town willing to try, despite the fact that she is sweet and beautiful. As Anna and Jacob develop a friendship, can she help to heal his family's hurts.

This is a story of life. So many things happen in lie that influence the decisions we make and the people we become. This story shows how the Bishop was influenced by his son's death. How the Bishop's wife rebelled in secret, and how all the people of the town mix together to heal each other. No one character stands on it's own, in fact they are all so intertwined together, I found myself flipping to the family tree's at the beginning of the book over and over again.

I have always enjoyed Amish life stories, and this was no different. I love the deep sense of family and connectedness that seems to come in that community. Sometimes I think that is what is wrong the world today, too much emphasis on self and not enough on family. I will have to say that this book does introduce a great deal of Englisch technologies into the Amish community, more than I have ever seen in an Amish book before, but it also has some sound reasoning for most of it. I didn't think it upset the story in any way, in fact it may be a more accurate picture of how the Amish have to deal with today's world. Whether it is or not, the story still focused more on the family and the influences of past events on their decisions and choices.

Anyone who is looking for an uplifting story, one to remind you of the value of family and being together. Working through all problems and finding faith and a way in the world, then this is for you. It was a sweet and enjoyable read.

Reviewed for +Book Sneeze.

View all my reviews

No comments: