Reader's Favorite

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone (#1) by J.K. Rowling BOOK REVIEW

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Some days you just have to go back a read a good book again, and that has been me in the last couple of weeks. I watched the Harry Potter movies on tv with the kids, and it just gave me a desire to go back and to read the books, so much is edited from the movies, and I understand that, but that is another reason I love the books so much more that the movies.

Everyone knows that this is the first book in the Harry Potter series, and it begins with some brief information about how Harry came to be living with his Aunt and Uncle, and not so much as to why they hated him so much, but a little. It also starts the story of Harry learning more about his parents and the truth about who he was and what he was, a wizard. I really love the beginning sequence with the Durdsley's trying to prevent and later run away form the owls that are delivering Harry's school letters. That is one of my favorite parts.

This book also introduces Ron Weasley, his soon to be best friend, and Hermoine Granger to Harry. It builds that bond between the three that will continue to course through all the books, growing and changing and they grown and change. Harry meets the Weasley family quite by accident, and yet it is probably the best family he could have hoped to met. Could imagine how the book might have been different had it been a different family that helped Harry onto the train, say the Malfoy's for example?

Another thing I really like about reading the books, is the backstories, the filling in of facts, what happened before that is in the books, but only skimmed over and revealing the bare minimum in the movies. I love hearing that. In fact, I know the author is done with this series, but I would love to have a book on the whole series from Hadrig's view with his backstory included, and one from Snape, and Dumblevore and even Professor McGongall, and how about Mr and Mrs Weasley, now that would be a story!

This is a great book series for kids and adults alike. If you have a child that doesn't like to read, says books a boring, then sit and read this story with them, even if you are the one doing all the reading, that is what I did with my son, reading it to him a little at a time, and he became so engrossed in the books, that by the time I finished reading them to him, he went back and checked them out of the library and read them to himself! And this was a child that struggled with reading! This book has my full endorsement!

View all my reviews

No comments: